Monday, February 28, 2011

Chem 101

"One of the first rules of chemistry - always make sure liquid is in the vessel before turning on the heat source." ~ My Dad

Here is the practical lab showing why you don't want to test that lesson.  
Kids, do not try this at home.


I was making noodles to go with dinner, wondering why my water was taking so long to boil.  Lift the lid and find that I had forgotten to fill the pot with said water.  So it has been on the hot burner, dry, for about 10 minutes.

I take the pot off the stove and in about a half second think:  Is this a good idea?  Pot's metal, not glass.... all the rest of dinner is ready and I don't even have the water in the pot yet....at least turn the water on Hot instead of Cold.....

I hold the very hot pot under the running water and EXPLODE instantly boiling water out the top.  Then there's a strange hissing noise in the sink, and find I have blown the layered bottom completely OFF the pan!  By some miracle, and with the help of our large, deep sink, I wasn't splashed a bit.  My dad said that was a good example of a very violent expansion and contraction.

Enough chemistry for the day I think!

9 comments:

NadineC said...

OMG! I'm so glad you weren't burned....having said that, I'm LOL! Me thinks the Pots-and-Pans God was watching over you. Also, it sounds WAY too much like something I might do...

~Michelle~ said...

That sounds like something I would do! I once put in a London broil to broil (duh) - and had not removed the plastic pin thingy holding the bacon on...needless to say, "fire in the hole" happened in the oven. I completely panicked over the flames - thankfully my roomie had a cool head and pulled the whole mess out of the oven & threw it into the sink!

Alyson said...

Glad you were ok! Many of us have done that...tomato sauce all over the ceiling, anyone? Good teaching moment for the kids. :)

diana said...

Just auch! Good thing you ween't using oil, like some may and may not have done :)))

randi---i have to say said...

sheesh! i am so glad you were not burned!

i once forgot water when i was trying to steam broccoli, but all that happened was a super stinky house and no broccoli for dinner. :)

Sherryl said...

Whew! You're a lucky girl - I think I love your dad, though! (Seriously, only a man would consider that a chemistry lesson!) LOL

Kris said...

WOW! I had no idea that could happen! Good tip and I'm glad you weren't hurt!

Sewhappy said...

Well I didn't know that could happen, but we sound like similar cooks, maybe I am just lucky that has never happened?

Mary said...

Oh no, glad you didn't get hurt! I once had an empty glass backing dish on my flat-top stove and turned on the wrong burner (the one under the empty glass dish, not the one under the pan I was trying to heat up.) The glass dish exploded EVERYWHERE! It was terrifying and I still have no idea how I didn't get hurt. So scary! Glad you're okay too!