Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Figgy Double Hourglass

I unrolled one of the Figgy Pudding honey buns last night to start the center of my quilt tablecloth.


I used only a small portion of the strips, and cluck.cluck.Sew's awesome tutorial to make some double hourglass blocks. Using the 1.5" honey bun strips and her strip pieced method, I ended up with a 4.25" unfinished block after squaring them up. Each block took only 13" of a honey bun strip, and they went fast!

This finished square is about 17", I just have to decide which fabric to frame it with for the table's center.

And now go look here! She is already on day 41 and I didn't see this yet?! I may do a few of her peppermint candies to go with the Figgy Pudding.

14 comments:

Purple Quilter Queen said...

That looks so simple! And your points look so crisp with the contrast of white. I'm going to try this pattern tonight. Thanks for sharing the link to the tutorial. It couldn't be more simple! Jenn

Allison said...

Cute Cute Cute! I'm glad the tutorial worked for you, it sure looks cute in those colors! Thanks for saying hi and showing me!! -Allison

leigh said...

i've been looking for a good tutorial for this block. thanks! also - thanks for the free motion quilting link - what a great resource!

Life of Joy said...

Seriously, when do you find the time to do all of this?

I have not done another thing for quilting yet. I do have some tops and jumpers to sew for my daughter though. I will be starting those tonight.

They look great. And what is the difference between honey bun, jelly roll and the other thing?

One Flew Over said...

These are such stunning hourglasses!! Gorgeous!

Kris said...

I love it! I want to try that tutorial too!

Julie @ Jaybird Quilts said...

so cute!! i've made these blocks many times & in many different ways!!

Eila said...

So beautiful job!

Leslie said...

this is so fun...i saw that tutorial too...this looks great!!

Kelli said...

I can't wait to see the finished table. It's going to be beautiful!

Kelli said...

I can't wait to see the finished table. It's going to be beautiful!

amy smart said...

So cute! You are on a roll, girl!

Amanda Jean said...

i. LOVE. this!!! what a great idea to use a honey bun for alison's wonderful tutorial.

Bari Jo said...

Hi! I am late to the party! Hope you still get comments from old posts! I have a honey bun I didn't know what to do with until I saw your post on this quilt! I checked out Cluck Cluck Sew's tutorial and makes sense... I am just unsure what size to cut the large square to make my template like you did in order to use the honey bun strips! I would like to make these small like yours! Thank you for any help you can give me! Appreciate it! I am glad I googled honey bun quilts and found yours! I, too, have three sons, almost full grown - they really do grow up so fast! :O)