Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Picnic Whirlygiggle!

Labor Day weekend is just days away, but I finished the picnic quilt! It is a little over 70x70 and nicely crinkled with stipples. If you're wondering about my template dimensions, you'll find them back in this post.


Pretty package all tied up

The fabric on the back is all found home decor - Pottery Barn Kids and Eddie Bauer window treatments that cost me $5 in total. I thought the heavy weight would be helpful on damp ground.

The Pottery Barn treatments included these long ties. I simply attached two under my binding to make the blanket easier to carry and stash in the van.

Speaking of binding, this is a fun bandanna-type print that looked very picnic-y to me. A departure from my standard stripe! I love a crisp binding edge.

I had to point out these ants. Perfect for the picnic.


Yes, we really will use it on the ground. And even eat on it! As my friend would suggest, get a good mess on it right away, then you won't even worry about it any more. I'm sure the boys will be able to think of something.

17 comments:

One Flew Over said...

What a fantastic picnic quilt! Love the any addition x

Kris said...

It looks fantastic! I love the idea of using heavy fabric for the backing and I really love the ties!

Leslie said...

your friend is so right...mess it up, love it, use it!! it looks beautiful. that binding fabric is something i have in the stash! i love it

Audrie said...

I absolutely love this! I wish I'd actually used my picnic quilt for its intended purpose... it lives on the couch now lol

Marianne Penner said...

It's beautiful and your boys already look like they are enjoying it!

Anonymous said...

Angela it's truly beatufiul. I simply had to make it my computers background. Now I can look at it everyday. Thanks for sharing it.

Mark said...

Looks great!!! I love the gingham on the back, great idea with the heavy fabric too!

Jodie B-C said...

It's adorable! Ingenious backing too!

Anonymous said...

Really very cute idea and how fun to go for a picinic with!!!

Amanda Jean said...

i LOVE your quilt!!! it's so so pretty.

Dresden Quilter said...

Oh my gosh! You are amazing! I love the quilt and I love the ties! Something I have never thought of before.

Dee said...

I have that fabric from the border...a friend of my stole that last of it from my scrap pile...she liked it so much. I enjoy your blog and the quilt is lovely as usual!
http://thequiltingdee.blogspot.com/

Little Lady Patchwork said...

Love this one and your awesome idea! I sure that it will get lots of use.

have a good weekend!

Julie @ Jaybird Quilts said...

i just dropped by b/c i hadn't seen your blog lately... and low & behold you somehow dropped off my feed reader?? sorry!! i'm still alive... i love this quilt... and love more that you are gonna use it.. some quilts are made to be used!!

amylouwhosews said...

this is adorable! And I was just thinking today I need to do a whirlygig quilt! Thanks for sharing and for linking up at sew-n-tell!

Laura said...

Your picnic quilt is beautiful. And I love the addition of the ant fabric!

amy smart said...

This quilt turned out wonderfully! It's one of my favorite patterns and I'm dying to try it. I love yours. Great pictures too!