Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Green : Finished

'Green'
59" square


For Christmas I gave both of Becket's teachers and the preschool director fun, quilted tree pillows.   They all enjoyed them so much - and both of his teachers STILL have them out.  Even though it's long past Christmas.  (That's one of the reasons I knew I HAD to make them quilts.  The director already has one of my quilts)  

Random sew and slash stripes on the back - love them!
One of his teachers especially loved the pillow because of the lime greens I used, she said that was her living room color - and green is her favorite color.   It's also the favorite color of Becket and myself, so an Ode to Green was the perfect plan for her quilt!


Becket gasped when I pulled out that green wood grain and exclaimed he NEEDED some for his own.  Likewise, any trimmings disappeared from my sewing area.  The scraps of greens, along with the prints from my Symmetry quilt, are stashed in a little box in his room.  Fabric disease is obviously genetic.





These modern log cabins were inspired by Susan Beal's cover quilt.  And over Christmas I had just bought a stack of fun neutral prints - so they were the ones I ended up pulling for the plus signs.  I chose the letters on the top left because she's a big fan of nice penmanship. 



There have been so many cool quilts with just solids lately, I've been wanting to give them a try.  Although not all solids, I liked the thought of a green mosaic background and pulled five different Kona greens from my stash.  I used them at random as I made the individual log cabins.


The neutral logs around that center are the same natural linen and cotton/linen blend I used in the other quilt.  Two more Kona greens were pulled for the right (cactus) and bottom (green tea). 


As I was making it, I knew I wanted to quilt straight lines in the linen blocks and stipple the outside edges.  But I had planned on just a 1/4" in/out of each center plus.  I didn't want to disturb the mosaic green background.  But after I did all the neutrals, I was worried that I didn't have enough quilting to hold it well through the wash.  


After much hemming and hawing, I decided to stipple the green center with a variegated green thread.  I was quite happy with how it turned out, and also really liked that contrast with the unquilted centers of the pluses. 



We love green!

7 comments:

Leena Salleh said...

Green with envy looking at your green...great job! n congrats on the finish :)

http://thankfullga447 said...

One of my WIP is a green quilt. I had all this green fabic popping up and I can't wait to start it. I first have to finish two other projects first. Thank you sharing.

Katie B said...

I am in love with this quilt! You did such a great job, and I know the teacher will treasure it.

Kati said...

Love this!! All that green is fabulous.

Stephanie said...

I love the linen mixed in there, and I'm loving all the greens! Nicely done!

randi said...

this is wonderful! the recipient is going to LOVE this, i am sure!

Kristine Hanson said...

the teacher will love this!!! I too made a quilt for my kiddo's teacher this year, always fun to see the teachers face when they open it!