Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Two Done : now the super scary part!

Fun tree Pillows

Two are done!

Fun tree Pillows

I usually prefer to hand stitch the back of the binding down, but I machine stitch on pillows. It just seems like they need to be stronger - with fluffing and lounging pulling on the edges so much.

I stitch from the back side, with white or whatever matches in the bobbin. This is what the front ends up looking like. A line - but nice and neat.

Fun tree Pillows

I'm going to give them all a light soak before stuffing and gifting. See all that red?! Hopefully you don't hear screaming when they get dunked. I'm using for-darks Woolite, cold water, and a color catcher in a big bowl.

Wish me luck!

edit:  Hurray!!  Thank you Kona, you're awesome!  Not a drip of red came off that huge red back - the water was clear and the color catcher totally white.  That Kona red held up perfectly!


.

12 comments:

Rebecca said...

They are beautiful. I hope they never stop selling those color catcher sheets. Otherwise, I'll have to make like Elaine with the sponges. :)

Heather D. said...

These are absolutely adorable. You have done such careful precise work. Love it.

Impera Magna said...

Yea! ...for non-running/bleeding Kona solids!!!

Very cool pillow!

Stephanie said...

Do you use a specific tutorial for making your pillows, not the tree but the way you make the back and how you do the binding etc...

Regina said...

Beautiful! Awesome gifts!

Britt-Inger said...

They are beautiful. I love the Christmas tree and your work is so nice.

felicity said...

Gorgeous pillows - good tip about the machine binding for things that will have a little more wear and tear!

Elizabeth Dackson said...

Your pillows turned out fabulously! And yay for a good, uneventful washing experience!! I washed my red and white zigzag quilt this morning and was super anxious when I took it out, too, fearing that red would bleed, but not a bit - not even on my color catcher! I hope Shout realizes how much we quilters use those things :)

A.J. Dub. (Amy) said...

They look amazing! And hooray for no bleeding!

QuiltNut Creations said...

absolutely love these!

Susanne said...

These pillows are great! I plan to make 1 or 2 as gifts too. Thanks for encouraging on machine binding. It looks neat!

I never prewash and never use colour catcher or something. Until now I never had bleeding fabrics. I think Konas (and other Kaufmanns, Moda and so on) have a great quality. Love them!

Susanne

Unknown said...

These are gorgeous! :)