Friday, October 21, 2011

Time flies even when you're Not having fun

Whoa - it was way back almost exactly two months ago that I started this sashing?!  I can't believe I made it sit and wait for so long.  Benefits of a blog I guess, you know how long LONG actually is.

Part of the two month ignore has to do with my little experiment not working, though.

sashing experiment....

When I sew things end-to-end like a long line of sashing and cornerstones, I tend to drift.  So the finished product wouldn't line up with the edge of a long ruler, it would drift off at like a 15deg angle.  No matter how hard I try.  Not sure what the deal is there.  So I thought I could perhaps make a big block of 8"wide grey/3"wide pattern/8"wide grey.....then just cut my 3" wide strips from the big final piece.

But, I drifted.  And even though I made them longer to account for such drift, it was still off enough at each end that I had to resew a couple to get enough sashing strips!  Bah.  And then I had to ease them all in anyway because I was a tad off between the sashing and the rows of blocks.

evil sashing

So I continue my hate of sashing and borders.  For sure my least favorite part of quilting.

.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

For me it's the binidng part that I hate! Your quilt looks great though!

Liz Jimenez said...

Ugh, I hate sashing, too. I was just working on some this afternoon. This one, thankfully, did not have cornerstones to match up. It's so nice in theory, but actually doing it sucks!

Katie B said...

I'm with you! Sashing is my nemesis.

Emily said...

Ah! I hate complex sashing... I only like the sort of sashing that adds more inches to the outside of the quilt... making WIP's big enough to call real quilts. :)

Leslie said...

sashing is my enemy!

Unknown said...

yeah, I'm not bing on sashing either... but my least favorite is sewing the binding on... I do like finishing the binding by hand, but sewing it on to the quilt top just bothers me for some reason.
Your quilt is looking good!

leigh said...

I feel exactly the same way about sashing and borders. There's got to be some trick we don't know about . . .