Sunday, June 10, 2012

A Finished Gnome Home

I finished my little gnome home Sunday afternoon - in the cool air conditioning.  It was in the low 90's and I decided it would be nicer to be at the pool after dinner so that our skin wasn't grilled mid day.

I totally winged it and things kept changing as I stitched.  The little gnome had his own idea of where he lived!  I had lots of space to play with - this block is 18.5" square.

gnome home

Looking out to greet visitors.

He has a lovely ironwork front door.

Gnome at the window

This cute little house is a paper pieced pattern that Sonja was so excited to share - it was created by Sarah of House of Krom.

Click this link to get the pattern from flickr.

The red on top is my most favorite red.  It seemed just perfect for the mushroom cap.  I used linen on the base, I've made a few gnomes and mushrooms and I always love to use linen on the bottoms.

gnome home close

Spent a good amount of time trying to figure out how to make it look like he was under a bush and adding branches.

Gnome under a bush

The little gnome has some friends living under the bush with him!

gnome friends

The gnome's little home is in a mushroom patch on the edge of the mossy forest floor.  He even gathered some stones to set off his yard.

This guy is off to live with a friend!

gnome home






11 comments:

Stephanie said...

So cute! I've never tried piecing like this, but it's on my list of things to try.

Kati said...

Oh, Angela, this is too cute!!

CitricSugar said...

This is so stinkin' cute!! I love the whole thing - the door, the little chimney, your fabric choices.... LOVE.

I also love it when the fabrics speak to you and choose their own way in a project. :-)

Kerstin said...

How wonderful, there's so much to discover in this lovely block!

Leslie said...

oh goodness this is so cute...i love that mushroom fabric. the one with the teeny tiny mushrooms.....what is that?

Aunt Spicy said...

totally love that you added the tree!!!!

A.J. Dub. (Amy) said...

That is adorable!

KendasCrafts said...

cute! great job!

Anonymous said...

It's adorable!! This piecing always looks so complicated to me but worth it. Love the result!

Erika Mulvenna said...

That is so adorable!

quirky granola girl said...

this is the cutest block, Angela. and you picked the perfect fabrics for it :)