Tuesday, April 28, 2009

New Crayon Syndrome


I have ALWAYS had new crayon syndrome. You know, you have the new box of wonderful, perfectly pointed new crayolas. They are lined up so pretty in the box - and there is nothing better than coloring with a brand new crayon.

BUT it is almost impossible for me to make that first swipe! Then it won't be new. And I may run out of my favorite crayon colors (cerulean and cornflower blue).
That is how I feel about much of my fabric. As much as I love to see it all folded and lined in their stash boxes, I'm starting to think perhaps I would enjoy them more if I just {ack} USED them.


And so, to that end, I decided to participate in AmandaJean's new quilt along. I've only been quilting for a few months, so I don't have too many scraps yet. But since each 9-patch only uses 2.5" squares, I feel I could safely cut up a bunch of new pieces and actually use my fabric (without actually using it up of course!)


I think I'll be able to do all this cutting without too much trauma. Certainly not as much as making my first knitting steek!

10 comments:

Liz Jimenez said...

I know what you mean about the joy of just staring at crisp, new, folded fabric. So lovely!

I'm doing the quilt-along, too. I started a new quilting blog, Teeny Tiny Quilts. I can't remember what link I followed to get to your blog, but I'm glad I found it!

B. said...

ahh new crayons. if it wasn't for my son i think that i would keep a bouquet of my favourite colours on my desk!

great blog, this is my first visit. can't wait to go back and read the rest of the posts, amazing!

Amanda Jean said...

those are my two favorite crayon colors, too! too funny! your fabrics are gorgeous.

Gram said...

Oh that is so funny I love new crayons too and I love to look at and touch my fabric. I am joining the quilt along too. So we can inspire each other. I am not new to "piecing" but I am new to machine quilting. I have decied to take the plunge and quilt my tops myself. So we are kind of newbie's together.
I am looking forward to the quilt along. Off to stitch now.
Sherry

heather said...

That's some fun fabric!! Once you cut into it you'll be soooo happy. You will love the results! Plus it's SOOOOOO much fun to have scraps and then make a scrappy quilt and remember those little pieces fondly!:)

Unknown said...

I totally understand what you mean - I Love my fabrics so much that I want to have then there to use whenever I want to - problem is I never use them so that there is always plenty there - evil cycle!! We can all be strong together :)

Kari V. said...

I laughed out loud when I read this post, because I feel the same way! I'm starting to think I'm more of a fabric collector than a quilter. :)

Dresden Quilter said...

I love your fabrics. I have a hard time to cutting up some fabrics. I try to use those for people I see a lot so I can "visit" the quilt.

Mushyhed said...

I LOVE this post. Sooo funny!! I'm sooo with you on the new crayons and new fabric thing. I practically had heart palpatations cutting into my Mendocino.

Ly + Alan said...

This is an awesome blog - this is my first visit and i love it! And I totally feel you 100% about the new crayons/new fabric. I *might* even be known to buy 2 boxes of crayons so I can keep one new and use the other one....