Saturday, April 18, 2009

Quilt Festival!

I've been away for quite some time. I looked over at the sidebar and was amazed that it has been three years! What better time to jump back in than with my new obsession - quilting...and an entry for this fun Bloggers Quilt Festival.


I'm generally a crafty person and am always finding new things that I just have to make myself. Ooooh, shiny .... Sewing has been in and out since 6th grade HomeEc class. But after my older machine died mid-Halloween costume I learned how wonderful a fancy new machine could be and dove back into the deep end. Nice, even stitches - what an idea!

With the help of flicker and blogs that linked to more blogs I have discovered the world of modern quilting. And boy do I love it. My husband would attest to that love by way of many fabric-filled bins in my dining/sewing room.

I thought I would start small and easy for my first attempt and found Oh, Fransson's pattern for Simple Modern Baby Quilts. So my festival entry and favorite quilt is my 1st quilt.




I am very happy with how it turned out!

I do not consider myself very good at making choices when putting multiple different colors/patterns together, so I thought I would start like the design-show people do.


This was one of my favorite fabrics from the Amelia line. I decided to use the colors from each of the leaves, thinking it would look great as a whole quilt. That blue solid is a linen, and I just love the texture it gives.

Between the wonderful pattern and the video Amanda Jean of Crazy Mom Quilts has, I wanted to try free motion quilting. I think it gives a depth and richness to the finished piece. Once I got going, I think it was almost my favorite part of the whole process.

From start to finish, this was a ton of fun! It has certainly kick-started my quilting obsession. I now have a hard drive full of inspiration pieces - a dining room full of fabric - and a family full of quilt-less people.

Lucky me.

22 comments:

Zonnah said...

I love the colors and you did an amazing job for your first quilt!

kangaroo said...

I LOVE this quilt. I just bought the same leaf print in green for our new king sized quilt...and our blogs have similar 'threads,' I'm a mother of two boys and I attempt knitting, quilting, and blueberry picking type activities whenever possible!

Rhonda said...

What great color choices for your quilt. I love the design. Good for you!

Shawn said...

I love the new modern quilts too, and crazymom is so inspiring. your quilt turned out wonderful, great work stippling too!

STEPHANIE. said...

beautiful quilt...beautiful little ones!

Vicki said...

Gorgeous and so well done.

dutchcomfort said...

Love your quilt! Great fabrics!

Having fun quilting, that’s what it’s all about!!

Unknown said...

Yeah, Amandajean got me started too. Your colour are wonderful, blues and browns do go together in a great way.

Aunt Spicy said...

Oh the blues and greens are amazing together!

Scrappy quilter said...

I love the colors too. You did an awesome job.

Jocelyn said...

You made an absolutely great choice in fabric selection. Thanks of sharing your great quilt!

Amy Sp said...

That quilt is beautiful! It will last from baby to bigger with your excellent fabric choices. Great job!

two hippos said...

The quilt looks great. I never would have guessed it's your first if you hadn't said so.

Quilt Rat said...

Fabulous quilt, great colour combo

stitchinpenny said...

The colors on your leaf fabric are so pretty and the other fabrics you coordinated with it make the quilt atupendous.

Miri said...

Wonderful quilt!

heather said...

Oh it's soooo fun to have a family full of quilt less people. Love the quilt!!! Great job. amandajean is a FABULOUS teacher!

Unknown said...

Welcome back! Your quilt looks great - I love your fabric choices :) Thanks for sharing!

Mushyhed said...

I think Amandajean has inspired alot of people, myself included. Love this quilt!

Natalie said...

You may be surprised to find out that I had this quilt bookmarked as a favorite already (from Flikr)! Its beautiful and simple and I love it! Thanks for sharing it!

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

This is such and appealing quilt - the colors, the design and the quilting. Thank you for sharing it on the Quilt Festival.

Dresden Quilter said...

It is gorgeous! I love your inspiration fabric.