Wednesday, November 11, 2009

mini nine, mini ten....and more!

Last evening I committed to making two more of these Figgy Pudding mini quilts. But that's my own fault.

I'm in the final bits of preparation for the big event on Sunday, and that meant getting the seating plan done and deciding who gets to take home which quilts.

There was much moaning and wailing as my husband and oldest laughed at the spectacle and wondered why I was doing this in the first place! Because it's fun, that's why. Please ignore the meltdown I'm having, thinking about all these little quilts leaving.


So, I talked to my mom and sister in law and suggested that I could make their favorites again, and I would assign two more of my favorites to their seats. That way I can keep three of these little things that I just CAN. NOT. part with, and they get a totally custom mini. I think they're OK with that - or they heard the hysteria in my voice and agreed so as not to upset the psycho.


Mini nine is 'Whirling Skaters', from my whirlygig love. I made a 2.5" wide template so that I could easily cut each piece from a jelly roll strip.


I thought this fabric looked like it had been twirled on already by lots of happy skaters!


Mini ten is a small, shrunken portion of the free pattern that Moda had with the Figgy Pudding line. Totally lazy, I didn't want to do the quilty math to get the tree sections the size I needed. So I just drafted it to scale and paper pieced it. That worked out perfectly!


My new thing on this quit was to use an invisible thread. I didn't want any more busy swirls in the dark background, and I though a dark thread would be too distracting in those pretty, light blocks. It went much better than expected - I thought I'd have lots of breakage and tangled messes. Not a one!

The sun is finally out today, so I should get some good pictures of the table cloth quilt. I'll also be spending some quality time with my little quilts that will be leaving. I have to make sure I don't embarrass myself on Sunday by tackling the women as they go.

20 comments:

Little Lady Patchwork said...

I would also mourn the leaving of all of those beautiful mini quilts!

Can't wait to see the tablecloth quilt.

Life of Joy said...

Have you assigned mine to me? I love the tree quilt. I am ready to get my Christmas sewing done so I can work on some quilting.

Jenny said...

I just love the dark background in mini ten. You really ought to be proud of yourself, they are all sooo good. I just got a pair of Munki flannel snowmen pajamas...sorry it's too late for this project, but would you be interested in some?

Dresden Quilter said...

Incredible! I will be there in football gear to help you with tackling! I love how you made the larger quilt pattern into a mini. You make it look so easy!

Karen said...

Oh I think these might be my favorites too! I want the pattern for that tree one! I love them being different sizes. Is there any way I can get your pattern? I would be willing to buy it! I even have the figgy pudding fabric ready and waiting!

Liz Jimenez said...

You're going to have to go to mini quilt rehab when this is all done!

But I wouldn't be able to part with them, either. :-)

Di~ said...

Angela, they are all so very wonderful, each and every one, you've done a great job and should be congratulated for your generosity. It would be hard. And figgy pudding is so awesome!

Audrie said...

Again, super cute! I love that you included some fabric of skaters hehe And the trees are so cute! Lovely job :)

Dee said...

More than willing to mug someone for a friend! LOL

The quilts are gorgeous...the invisible thread was ingenius!

Should I pack a baseball bat or golf club to knock the poor women off their feet? Do you have a pair of skates for quick escape?

:P

One Flew Over said...

These arre fantastic Angela! You have been so busy x

Allie said...

All your mini's are just beautiful! What a lucky bunch of ladies to get to take one home. Great work!

Leslie said...

oh you poor thing...i can only imagine the hysteria moments you are having. these last ones are beautiful. i love the invisible quilting.

Mark said...

All stunning!! I Hope you have a wonderful time on sunday, and manage to let the women leave with the quilts!

Rene' said...

Is it too late to change the theme of your table so you can keep all your minis? ;-))

I'm sure you will be able to part with them...especially when you see how happy, thrilled, excited and appreciative the women are sure to be when realizing the bounty they get to take home. Make sure you take lots of pictures...especially of each lady with their quilt...and of you too of course. (I keep saying ladies...I just assumed it was a ladies tea...forgive if I'm wrong)

Can't wait to hear all about the event.

Kris said...

These look wonderful and what a great idea from your family! I hope all goes well at the event!

Anne D said...

Once again they are gorgeous. The reason I started to subscribe to your blog was these mini quilts. I would have to keep them all!!!

Diane said...

I can understand your distress at having these little guys go, they are beautiful and those at your table will be blessed for seasons to come by them. :)

Julie @ Jaybird Quilts said...

the mini version of the project sheet is adorable.. i love that idea and I'm so gonna make one!

patty a. said...

All the mini quilts have been fab! I know how hard it would be to let them go! They are so cute!

CitricSugar said...

Yes, these will be hard to part with but I have faith you can do it without getting arrested.

I love the way you adapted the Figgy Pudding quilt pattern (I actually put the pattern and fabrics on my Christmas list and have my fingers crossed.)

Can't wait to see eleven and twelve -the first ten have been incredible!