Monday, November 02, 2009

Soul-filling inspiration (and mini six: windows)

I think that captures how I feel about what Jacquie, of Tallgrass Prairie Studio, shares with us. For the blogger quilt festival she gave a wonderful peek into her creative process. Go check it out if you haven't already, also read the end to that story, then come back.



The second quilt I ever made was inspired by her wonky log cabin tutorial. The greens didn't turn out quite as I expected, but I love all those happy pear blocks.

I am constantly inspired by all her amazing improv quilting - so it's a bit ironic that I'm totally copying that which I love for being so original. I'm hoping that as I go along, I'll gain the basic experience necessary to start improvising on my own. Actually making all these minis in such a short amount of time has even helped a bit.


I wanted to create the windows of pieced strips that I loved in Jacquie's 'Snippets' quilt. I think she would be proud of all the chopping and rearranging I did to make these windows work on my tiny 13"x17" quilt.



I really like the texture of linen on the past quilts I've made, so I used some natural linen here. And the pattern of the fabric I chose to bind the quilt seemed to compliment the stripey red and teal windows.


I worked in one more creative soul with Aneela's adorable spoonflower creations - a snow globe


and snowman ornament.


10 comments:

Allie said...

All your little quilts are just beautiful! Well done!

jacquie said...

well i couldn't be more pleased and proud! i love how you put your own spin on it. you're a natural!!

Rene' said...

I haven't checked the links you mentioned yet, but wanted to say I love your newest mini. I can't wait to finish all the projects on my list so I can try my hand at making mini quilts. Another great job.

Julie @ Jaybird Quilts said...

nice tribute to the inspiration for your piece... and as expected #6 is just as adorable as the other 5!

CitricSugar said...

I loved Jacquie's Snippets quilt and love the way you've translated it - gorgeous!

Lara said...

Gorgeous. I aspire to be able to stipple like you! Someday... :)

Kris said...

I love the improv style too!

amy smart said...

So wonderful, Angela!! I love the finished product, but I'm sure the process was really fun too. I need to do more improv quilts. They call to me. Thanks for sharing your inspiration too.

Anne D said...

I love all your minis. I love figgy pudding too. I had to laugh at your copying Jacquie because I want to copy most of her quilts too!!

heather said...

I love the little quilt. Very cute!!!