Saturday, April 10, 2010

Panaceia's Mantle

Panaceia is the greek goddess of cures and healing. I made this quilt for my friend Liesl (I love her name!) - she is starting chemo this week to battle breast cancer. It's 53" x 62"



As soon as I heard she was diagnosed, I had to make a quilt. I imagine during and after chemo, feeling tired and chilled, and giving her something cheery to cover up with. Another reason to go with a greek goddess in the name, I got the blue/orange/yellow from an Olympic coach. His uniform jumped out of the TV at me!



I loved Amy's 'Peas and Carrots' the first time I saw it - actually the first thing I ever faved in flickr. It looks so happy! She made her quilt as a kit for the local shop and kindly sent instructions that went with the precut pieces. I modified it a bit to eliminate the boarders and turn the panels into my own little improv creations.



I used all my favorite Heather Ross cuteness - very happy little prints for Liesl. And I experimented with skinny boarders and solids. This block uses Kona school bus and tangerine - my favorite orange combo!



This fishy block has Kona turquoise as the darkest blue. The other two were pulled from pieces I bought before learning to label the cuts. It was also the most improv. I pieced/cut/added/cut/moved....I was thinking about Gwen's philosophy of add some if it's too small, cut some off if it's too big. I love how it turned out.



A bunch of my favorite fabrics, and a new fave. I LOVE the bees and honey comb of Miller's Flora and Fauna.

Originally the sashing was going to be snow, but thought the coal would give it a little more sophistication.



I love the light/dark thing that was going on with the Kona, so charcoal was the perfect choice for the binding!



I quilted it with invisible thread on the top so it wouldn't stand out against either the dark solids or the light prints. I loved every minute of making this quilt!

39 comments:

Life of Joy said...

Beautiful. I will continue to pray fir Liesl.

Sara said...

This quilt is so refreshing - I love it! Makes me want to sit by the pool drinking something peach. No doubt this will cheer your friend up :)

karen @ badlandsquilts said...

That is a gorgeous quilt... I wish for your friend the best!

Kris said...

What a beautiful finished product! I love the blue block where the light rectangle seems to be under the stripe! I also love the coal sashing and the dark binding is perfect. I just love love love it! What a great way for your friend to wrap herself up in a whole lot of love while she fights

Katy said...

Gorgeous!! I'm sure it will help to keep her spirits up and she will absolutely love it!

Tonya said...

This quilt is awesome, everything about it is totally awesome! The colors, the pattern, the inspiration, and the motivation. Can you tell how much I love it? Nice job. I hope your friend has a successful treatment and a quick recovery.

Mary said...

I absolutely love everything about this quilt! I love the colors! Did the invisible thread do okay in the dryer? I have done some quilts for Quilts for Kids (for kids in hospital settings) and they say we can't use it because it will melt in the industrial dryers. I have used it once but they have scared me off of using it again.

CitricSugar said...

It is absolutely gorgeous!!

Your friend is in my prayers.

Jo (sparkly green knickers) said...

Great colours!! Hope it's a great comfort to your friend.

Stephanie said...

This is probably one of my favorite quilts I've seen. I really love the colors and your choice in charcoal for the binding is just perfect!

My thoughts and prayers are with your friend, and hope that she is on her way to recovery.

Jenny said...

best wishes to your friend for a speedy complete recovery. what a generous and beautiful gift!

Cheri C. said...

That is so beautiful and so nice of you to make for your friend. I hope she will make a full recovery from this and be able to enjoy this quilt for a very long time.

jess said...

This quilt is as beautiful as your love for your friend. I will pray for her.

Pat said...

Angela - it's beautiful! I'm sure Liesl will just love it. Once again I see one of your creations and think "I have absolutely no talent!" lol Thanks again for the birthday bag. Erin loved the trees!

wishes, true and kind said...

So beautiful -- and such a special gift!

Anonymous said...

Angela it is just beautiful, I love the fun treasures hidden in each block, What a wonderful way to share your love with a friend in need of lot's of support as she battles Cancer!

Casey said...

This is a gorgeous quilt! and you are such a great friend for thinking of doing this for your friend, very sweet gift :)

Karen said...

Great quilt. The colours are lovely. I have no doubt it will bring much comfort.

Andi said...

What a beautiful quilt and a wonderful gift.

Dee said...

Only proving what we all alreday knew-what a huge, loving, caring and compassionate heartful of giving you have!

9patchnurse said...

I love it! and I know Liesl will too. Heather Ross fabric makes me drool. I think I need to start using some of my HR stash. Thanks for the motivation.

Alyson said...

This is such a meaningful gift! It is so beautiful and the colors are very inspiring. Wonderful job, and I will pray for your friend. I love her name too!

Riel Nason said...

It is a great quilt! The colours are super and I love the variety of the blocks!

randi--i have to say said...

Beautiful! And best wishes for your friend. She will be in my prayers today.

Randi

http://ihavetosay.typepad.com/

Mary P said...

This is beautiful. She is in my thoughts and prayers.

Allie said...

Your quilt turned out so beautiful! I will keep your friend Liesl is my prayers.

Rene' said...

This is a gorgeous, colorful quilt for Liesl! Wishing her all the best!

amy smart said...

Angela, This quilt is SO wonderful!! I think it turned out beautifully. But even more, I love the reason you made it. Your friend is blessed to have you. I'm sure this quilt will bring a lot of cheer and comfort through a difficult experience. I will add her to my prayers too.

Dresden Quilter said...

It is a beautiful quilt and you are such a wonderful friend. It will definitely cheer her up.

Rebekah said...

What a beautiful quilt! The colors are gorgeous and that is so sweet of you to make your friend a recovery quilt. I hope that she does well through the chemo.

Mari said...

Oh, this was a good looking quilt. Lovely simple desig in faboules fabric. Great job !!

esquiltingpassion said...

What a wonderful gift for Lies, not only will the quilt keep her warm but she also knows you are with her. I will put her in my prayers.
Elaine

esquiltingpassion said...

What a wonderful gift for Lies, not only will the quilt keep her warm but she also knows you are with her. I will put her in my prayers.
Elaine

Karen said...

What a wonderful gift for your friend. I'm sure she will love it. You have put some sweet prints into it. It's a happy quilt!

Tracey Jacobsen said...

this is such an incredible quilt...
beautiful

erica said...

This is just stunning! Love the invisble thread!

Dandelion Quilts said...

I love the colors you used...I need to get on this gray wagon I am seeing out and about in blog world. Cute.

Dandelion Quilts said...

I love the colors you used...I need to get on this gray wagon I am seeing out and about in blog world. Cute.

Sarah said...

such a pretty quilt, i was so kind of you to make this for your friend.