Thursday, May 14, 2009

Honu kala pa'a - finished!

I have been dieing to share my finished coin quilt - had to wait for some sun to get good pictures.
Honu kala pa'a - roughly Hawaiian turtle coins. I made it to remind me of the wonderful trips we've taken to Maui and Kauai.


I love it! Tula Pink's Neptune line - three charm packs and a bit of yardage for back and binding. It is sashed with 100% white linen, also on the back.


The other solid on the back is cotton oxford shirting. It was a substitute when I realized I forgot to buy enough linen for the back. A happy accident, it was wonderful to work with and I'll certainly look for more to use again. I got that piece for a huge bargain at JoAnn's, but it is considered a fall fabric, so I have to wait just a bit to find it again. I decided to feature some of my favorite charm squares on the back, and I like this the best with the sea turtles.


The black print is perfect for the binding.

Neptune really is amazing, so when I saw that Hancocks of Paducah had the quilt kit on sale for nearly 50% off, I had to have it. The kit came with two layer cakes, nine fat quarters, and finally 5/8 yd and 1 1/2 yd cuts. Ooooh, pretty.....


(tossed in 3 yards of Bijoux - on sale, already paying for shipping and all)

We decided to do Becket's room in a kind of Hawaiian sea-theme with underwater and waterfall photos we've taken. I'll probably use just the blues, blacks and greens. I just have to choose what pattern to make.

17 comments:

kangaroo said...

what a masterpiece! it's fantastic, bravo!

patty a. said...

What a beautiful quilt! The back is stunning! I found your blog from the SEWN blog/giveaway. I will have to add you to my favorites!

Dresden Quilter said...

You have done such an amazing job! I love the way you have done the backing. Do you buy your linen at a quilt store or a fabric store?

Liz Jimenez said...

W.O.W. Took my breath away. It turned out beautifully!!

I've got a Neptune charm pack that I'm dying to use. Might have to get a second one, or a layer cake. I can't wait to play with it.

Seriously, the whole thing is just gorgeous. I adore the back, and the black/gray tortoise shell is a perfect binding.

Mushyhed said...

This quilt is AWESOME!!!!! I love it. You did such a great job!

One Flew Over said...

That quilt is amazing! I love the colours, quilting looks amazing!

heather said...

I LOVE this quilt!!!! GREAT job!!! I want to do one like this!!

Mark said...

Your Quilt is amazing!! I really like how you did the back!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous-ness! =) =)

Rachael in NZ said...

Beautiful, I wish my machine could do that!

Julie @ Jaybird Quilts said...

this quilt looks great... i'm also a fan of neptune... i have 2 neptune quilts in progress right now

Cathie said...

Very pretty colors. And bold arrangement with the greens on one side and the corals on the other. I really like this.

Kelli said...

I love the stacked coins. I had to have one of those Neptune Quilt kits, too! Are you going to make the circle quilt pattern that came with it? I think I am.

Jessica Dawson said...

Hi! My name is Jessica an dI love the Neptune Coin Quilt you made! I was wondering if you could email me the size you cut each neptune fabric too.......I just really like the way yours came out......Thx in advance if yuo are able to! Jessicagreene@msn.com

Petit Design Co. said...

Hello

I just absolutely adore your quilt!

I hope you don't mind (if you do let me know) but I borrowed 2 pictures and blogged about (and linked) to your quilt.

You can see the post here:
http://blog.petitdebutant.com/2009/06/fabric-focus-neptune-by-tula-pink.html

amy smart said...

This quilt is SO beautiful! Very nice. Love the back.

cnydalynn said...

I love this line... and I so went and spent some too at Hancocks. Way too much!