Thursday, May 28, 2009

Improv Pears done!


This was the second quilt I pieced and finally got it quilted and bound in time to Spring to Finish! It is 51" square.
I used 6" square piece of three different Kaufman pear prints at the center of each wonky log cabin block. They were a lot of fun to piece! After it was all done, I realized the green really wasn't as spring-y as I had pictured. I saw more of the dots than the overall, but I was not going to change it!
I pieced a leftover strip for the back.
I had great karma the day I joined all my binding - you can hardly see a single seam. There's one of them on the right of the top row. Even the point where the final join is made falls perfectly!

When it is cold and dreary next winter, I think this is be a fun quilt to warm-up under.

I washed that quilt with the Neptune coin quilt and did have a minor issue. I didn't pre-wash the linen and probably should have. While working with it, the 100% linen was so slippery and tended to unravel. That a led to square-ness issues overall and some edges that were less than 1/4" under the binding seam. This little section pulled out during the wash.

I ended up tucking it against the binding, then machine stitching a tight, narrow zig-zag along that area. You can hardly see the repair on either front or back - it blended into the texture of the linen. Hopefully I have stopped the pulling and fraying.

As a side note, the quilt went from 51x64 before washing to 49x62.5 All linen will be pre-washed going forward.

10 comments:

Dresden Quilter said...

It is beautiful! I love the pears and the wonkiness of it. You should be so proud of yourself!

Kangaroo said...

i love love LOVE this quilt. i think this is actually one of my favorite quilts i've ever seen.

Liz Jimenez said...

Both of them are lovely! I really dig those wonky pears.

I had a similar issue with border and binding and had to make a repair. Seemed pretty minor, hopefully no one will notice. :-)

One Flew Over said...

Love this quilt, the pears are such a good centrepiece

Red Pepper Quilts - Rita Hodge said...

Love the wonky peark quilt! Wow! There was a lot of shrinkage! I do pre wash linen and even toss it into the dryer for a tumble, just to ensure it can withstand the treatment. Great quilt though!

Rita

Amanda Jean said...

what a beautiful finish!

Kelli said...

I think the green works well in the pear quilt!

And thanks for the heads up on the linen. I've only ever used it for small quilts and was planning to use it for sashing in a larger one soon.

M said...

I just found your blog and I am loving it. This pear quilt is awesome. You did a wonderful job.

Leslie said...

the pears quilt is amazing!!! I love it. You make beautiful quilts

EB said...

love your quilt! its beautiful. I would love to make one too for my sister...
question do you pre wash your cottons too?