Saturday, May 30, 2009

Week 5 nine patches

....plus one. I tossed in a Neptune square as I was cleaning up. I really like this group - the pink and green ones and that bird peaking out turned out just as I wanted.

I went back and forth on the green Bijoux square a bunch of times before I decided it would be good. Then when I uploaded the photo, I finally saw how little contrast it really has. Thumbnails can be very helpful - kind of like the squinty eye technique. (You know, where you kind of squint and blur your eyes a bit to make sure all the colors are evenly distributed. I used to do this when I was little at Christmas time...when the strings of tree lights were those large screw-in bulbs. If there was too much of one color clumped together after the squint-test, I would swap bulbs around to fix it!)


This was a surprise favorite for me! I've had them cut and been looking for a good pair for those crazy orange, pink and yellow circles for a couple of weeks. I was starting to think they weren't going to work with anything. Once I turned over the final, ironed square I couldn't believe how much I liked it!

7 comments:

Red Pepper Quilts - Rita Hodge said...

The nine-patch blocks are fantastic. I too love the pink and orange block! Great color combinations.

Rita

Erin said...

ohmygoodness, these are lovely. I really REALLY like the darks mixed in.

Mushyhed said...

Love all your 9 patches! So pretty!

One Flew Over said...

Really liking the pink and orange, they work so well together!

heather said...

They look GREAT!!! I need to get caught up. I'm not sure even how many I should have right now.:( Yours look really good!!

Amanda Jean said...

your 9 patches are fun! you do great at combining fabrics. :)

~Michelle~ said...

Ooh, nice 9-patches! Thanks for stopping by my blog...and I think you should definitely do Amanda Jean's star quiltalong - I went ahead and wrote down all of the measurements on one sheet of paper - let me know if you would like a copy for yourself. :)