Monday, June 29, 2009

Working Wired

I have three projects I'm trying to get done by Thursday. Only one is finished right now...
In a marathon session, I finished quilting my niece's quilt. I decided to stitch inside each square with writing 1/4", then stippled all the rest. It took a long time to navigate around all those squares! It is already boxed and ready to return to Ohio.


A quick picture of my new Far, Far Away since I don't have a quilty photo

A couple things I learned while doing that quilt. My sister in-law is a hand quilter, and she hand basted everything together with long, running stitches. I thought it would be fine, but it was a nightmare on the machine. I kept catching the stitches on either the needle screw or the presser foot lever. I ended up pulling out the basting and pinning before I started to stipple.



Second, my dream machine would have a huge, endless bobbin CONE! I should put my engineering degree to work and come up with something that would avoid the need to constantly swap bobbins in and out. I'm sure Amandajean would love that, too. (Go visit her newest quilt that needed 18 bobbins if you haven't already.)

This is what kept me awake and going during that night of quilting .... you know those tasty chocolate covered espresso beans that some shops add to the top of your cup? I have myself a whole box!


I eat them by the handful! I love Trader Joe's.

12 comments:

Jennie said...

Cute fabrics! I also LOVE Trader Joe's... I don't know how I lived before they built the one in Algonquin!! ~ Jennie

heather said...

Like the fabrics! And if you ever came up with an endless bobbin thing I'D SOOOOOO BUY ONE!!!!!:)

Mushyhed said...

I'll so be the first in line to buy an endless bobbin cone. Loving your fabrics and I also love TJ's. I ate an entire box of choc. covered pistachios the other night. In. One. Sitting.

cnydalynn said...

I LOVE that far, far away! You lucky duck you!

And we don't have a TJ and I am jealous... that is all I am going to say! Well and if we did I would also buy those chocolate covered espresso beans and eat them by the handful!!!!:) Still jealous!

One Flew Over said...

gorgeous fabric! With you on the endless bobin!!!

Julie @ Jaybird Quilts said...

if you invent the bobbin cone i'll be first in line to buy it! i hate winding them while working on a quilt so i try and plan for how many i need... but then sometimes i over plan and have 2 or 3 left in a color that i won't be using for a while... or i run short and need to stop to make more!!

Dresden Quilter said...

I am jealous of your fabrics. I am happy that you got the quilt done. Right now I feel so behind in everything I am doing. The endless bobbin would be an amazing invention.

Red Pepper Quilts - Rita Hodge said...

Hi Angela - I am so glad you were able to tackle quilting your own quilt! I do love the Far Far Away fabrics you have posted! I have added some of these to my own stash too. I always use pins to baste quilts and I can see how frustrated you may have been with the basting threads! Love the idea of an endless bobbin, I'll have one thanks!

Rita

Thanks also for visiting my blog. I have tried to email you but my emails to you keep bouncing back! Is the email address on your profile correct? I have not had problems emailing you before... Just thought I'd let you know.

Amanda Jean said...

when you invent the large bobbin, i'll be in line for one! (thanks for the link, btw.) rewinding the bobbins gave my arms a break, though, and man, oh, man, did they need it! :)

Leslie said...

i was just thinking the same thing the other day about the bobbin...why don't they make one that is at least the same size as your spool of thread? If you could figure out the bobbin and the laser, i think you could make the most amazing machine out there.

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

Every time I sit down to quilt a quilt I wonder why nobody has invented a way to just drop a regular spool a thread in a bobbin case. If it works in the top of the machine, there should be a way to have one in the bottom of the machine too!

Rebecca said...

I love far far away...i just can't decide which ones and how much to buy. I really like the ones you have selected!